Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Noreen Crone Findlay Studio


Noreen Crone Findlay Studio

What kind of Art/Crafts do you do?
I am passionate about the fiber arts: I design for small loom weaving, crochet, knitting and spool knitting, as well as making one of a kind cord makers and tatting shuttles. I also blog about the yarncentric life on Tottie Talks Crafts.

Where do you create?

I have a fairly large studio in our home, and we also have a woodworking workshop, too. The studio has a wall of south facing windows that passively heat it in the winter. In the summer, the hollyhocks grow up 2 stories tall, and shade the windows. We also have a wood burning stove in the studio, which keeps it toasty warm. We don't cut down any of the trees on our land. We just cut up the trees that have fallen down or been blown down and burn them. Every year, we plant many more trees to lighten our carbon footprint.



How do you keep all your supplies organised?
I am a big fan of having groupings of tools and projects on their own shelves and in their own baskets.  I am very serious about maintaining really good files, because I have so many projects and designs and concepts all happening at the same time. I collect neat old baskets, boxes and suitcases for project storage. and use lots of plastic bins and drawers as well. My studio looks unbelievably cluttered, because I do have a lot of stuff in it, but it suits me to a 'T'.

How do you keep yourself motivated to keep your space tidy?
That's easy: If things get out of control, it makes life way too stressful! So, sometimes, I just have to stop and get everything sorted and sifted. For me, having several small desks where I do specific tasks, works much better than having one large desk. Also, I need to have things organized on lots of little (and large) shelves, so I can keep track of tools and projects and stuff.




Any tips for how to keep art spaces tidy or organised?

It takes discipline and persistence. I really like folding tables for short term project construction or for specific tasks. I do the job, then collapse the table and put it away, otherwise, I will just heap stuff on it. I also am lucky to be able to have designated areas where I so specific things- for example, I have a 'station' set up where I shoot all my video tutorials, and another area where I shoot a lot of my photos for my patterns and my blog. I also like to have an area where I can stand to work on projects and designs. I also have 2 small desks for drawing and sketching, and a large computer desk where I heap things up like mad. And, of course, I have a lot of bookcases and shelves for storage. I also have comfie chairs for sitting and working on things, and for family and friends to sit and visit and sip tea.

Do you get stressed out when your space gets in a mess?
Yes. When it gets chaotic, I find it really hard to maintain focus.



If you could have your dream space tomorrow what would it look like?
I love my studio, but there are a few things that I am not crazy about. The wall of windows is challenging, as it is angled, which makes it good for passive solar, but I haven't been able to work out a system of curtaining them.That's not great, as it is hard to control glare and light levels for photography. Also, I don't like the ceiling tiles in the studio, and would rather have a wooden ceiling. And, there's a rug on the floor of the studio. I would prefer wood or cork or bamboo. I need to have lots of flowering plants in my studio, as we have long cold winters in Western Canada, where I live, so having tons of light is really important to me.


Do space limitations get in the way of projects you have in mind?
Not in the studio, as I am very lucky to have a large studio. But, the woodworking shop is small and congested. It would be wonderful to have more woodworking space.




What is the next big thing on your wish list for your art space?
I would love to have a vintage drop front secretary desk. I am questing for it! :o)




Where can people view your work or purchase it?

My latest book: The Woven Bag is available online or in local bookstore
Website: http://www.crone-findlay.com/
Blog: http://tottietalkscrafts.com/
Etsy: http://ncronefindlay.etsy.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/NCroneFindlay
Facebook page for The Woven Bag: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=359667273444



Thanks to Noreen for allowing me to publish her studio photos and for taking time to answer my questions! Thank you!



1 comment:

  1. Id say in the middle of winter with the wood burning stove your studio is as cosy! and im so jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete