Saturday, May 8, 2010

Susan Moloney's Art Studio


Susan Moloney's Art Studio 

What kind of Art/Crafts do you do?
I do a little bit of everything! I'm a painter, mostly, and I've been doing some stuff with clay and plaster, but I also make plush dolls called "weirdos" too.

Where do you create?

I have a studio set up in my basement. My friends call me "the cellar dweller" ;)



How do you keep all your supplies organised?
I am the messiest worker on the planet, but we JUST remodeled my studio and I was sure to arrange LOTS of storage places!

How do you keep yourself motivated to keep your space tidy?
I guess I don't. I usually just work until I realize I'm drowning in stuff....then I sort of go on a tidying up rampage.




Any tips for how to keep art spaces tidy or organised?
I am VERY lucky! I got to design my own space and sketched everything that I wanted. I had two worker bees that built all of the stuff for me! I made sure to put DOORS on almost everything! Before we remodeled, I always had open shelves for all of my stuff. I think it looked really cluttered and messy that way...even though I knew where everything was (I was constantly organizing). I love having most of the stuff hidden! (even though I have a lot of stuff that isn't hidden too...I just have a lot of stuff!)


Do you get stressed out when your space gets in a mess?
I don't know if I would call it stressed out. More like confused. I can't find anything and I'll end up with papers glued to my elbows. That's when I know it's time for the tidying rampage. ;)



If you could have your dream space tomorrow what would it look like?
This is a dream space for me! I can't believe it's mine, really! I sit down here, smiling like a looney, looking at it! haha! But, of course, there are always things you would like to have that you can't...like bigger windows...maybe not be underground?


Do space limitations get in the way of projects you have in mind?
I love to paint BIG paintings. It's exciting! and it gets your whole body movin! but I have had to go much smaller with my work. I just don't have anywhere to store it.




What is the next big thing on your wish list for your art space?
New windows (they won't be big). We have really old windows and they are falling apart. We held off on finishing the window sills until we could replace them... but I'd also like a new dremel tool, and that saw gizmo that dremel makes...I'm hoping Santa will bring them for me, because my husband says I've spent enough on the studio! ;)

Where can people view your work or purchase it?

Yes! My very first Etsy shop is susarto. ( http://susarto.etsy.com/ ) where I sell my weirdos and some prints and things.

Last year, I opened http://susanmoloney.etsy.com/  because my newer work didn't really fit in with the plushies. I wanted it to be seen on its own.

Besides building the studio, I had been concentrating on getting more work together for galleries. I will be exhibiting them in June at Highwire Gallery in Philadelphia.

I was posting those on my blog up until January when the renovations took over. The whole renovating process is on my blog too, if you're interested in that sort of thing ;) http://susarto.blogspot.com/

Oh! I almost forgot! I opened a 3rd Etsy shop called SanfordSalvage. There isn't anything in it yet, but I will be putting in a lot of vintage items and supplies now that I've got myself sorted! :)



Thanks to Susan for allowing me to publish her studio photos and for taking time to answer my questions! Thank you!



Example of Susan's Work

Video Tour of Susan's Studio

7 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous of Susan's studio. I've seen it before because I follow her blog and tweet with her but I happy to see it here too. So inspiring! How awesome is that giant table in the middle of her studio? I'd kill for one of those! Her artwork is amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sus, I just saw 3 of my things down there!! the film reel, Ronan's pic and the little green folding thing with the vaudeville people...had completely forgotten about those! Neat :) your space looks fantastic and you should win the tidy town award :P

    Great stuff Ann ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still in total awe everytime I see Sus' studio! Like Alladin's Cave choc full of treasures - and still can't over that flooor being painted!

    Great feature on a great artist/person/gal xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful workspace and a wonderful feature. Congrats to Sus on her new space.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this is a such a beautiful studio.If it was mine i would never leave.

    ReplyDelete