Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Petal to Petal Illustration Studio Space


Where do you do your art/crafts?
Sometimes I work in a cafe around the corner as I like the buzz and the banter and they serve the most delicious mochas (I have to be careful not to spill them on my work though!). Most of the time, I work from home in my studio, surrounded  by the things that inspire me - cards from friends, tags, postcards, samples of material - anything goes!


How do you keep all your supplies organised?
I use perfume boxes to store my pens and various other materials in.




How do you keep yourself motivated to keep your space tidy?
I find that I can't work in a messy space. The work I do requires precision and so there needs to be plenty of flat, clear space for me to work on. I can't risk spilling or knocking anything as I work by hand and one slip means that I would have to start over again!




Any tips for how to keep art spaces tidy or organised?
Only keep the things that you need out - store everything else away. Store things away in perfume boxes, small hat boxes and even shoe boxes and make pretty labels to identify the contents.


Do you get stressed out when your space gets in a mess?
I cannot work if my space is in a mess, a clear space is a clear head 


If you could have your dream space tomorrow what would it look like?
A lofty converted old warehouse with endless desk space, comfortablechairs and great lighting. Ideally a studio apartment. 




Is there any craft you would love to do but cant due to limitations ofyour art space? 
I would like to work large scale, but taking my style into consideration that would probably have to be a long term project anyway.


What is the next big thing on your wish list for your art space?
A shelving unit to display my collection of pattern and textile books! And maybe a nice plant as well.




Is there a website for people to see or buy your art/crafts?
www.petaltopetal.blogspot.com am always looking for exciting new exhibitions to participate in or just to admire. I am also open to collaborations with artists and companies alike. Please drop me a line, I always love to hear from you!

3 comments:

  1. I love the shoes in the images. :-)

    The new layout of the blog is great but the text is pretty hard to read, Ann. I had to focus my full attention to read it.

    That looks like a pretty large piece (for this style) in the image. How much larger would you like to work, Lily?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Click on the image with text to enlarge Amy. Lily sent the answers on pdf format and it was too pretty of a layout to post as the normal way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amy, the shoes are my own design- the image is called 'Petal'.
    A dream commission would be to illustrate all over a shop wall, using the Flower Bomb pattern in large scale :)

    ReplyDelete