Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Art of Dang's Studio


The Art of Dang

What kind of Art/Crafts do you do?
I create paintings, illustrations, sculptures and prints.

Where do you create?
Over the years I have had several warehouse studios with a non-profit studio/gallery; 555arts.org in Detroit. Now I'm in Portland and my partner and I have an office / studio at home.




How do you keep all your supplies organised?
A different way everyday! A variety of tools take turns wandering across my drafting table and eventually back to their homes.

How do you keep yourself motivated to keep your space tidy?
The office is always in better shape than the studio, I try not to let it get out of hand and spill over into that space




Any tips for how to keep art spaces tidy or organised?
Everything in it's right place, one step at a time.


Do you get stressed out when your space gets in a mess?
I do notice how much better it feels when it's more orderly, but at the same time I don't mind some scattered supplies when production is in full swing.



If you could have your dream space tomorrow what would it look like?
A big cabin in the woods with a different space for every process and a chill space for reading, drawing, and stepping back from the work.


Do space limitations get in the way of projects you have in mind?
Screen-printing is tricky without the right set-up, and I'll paint as large as the space allows from time to time.




What is the next big thing on your wish list for your art space?
Refinishing the walls and ceiling has been on our list since we opened up the upstairs. Expanding into the carport, and adding a washout sink are also on the list.

Where can people view your work or purchase it?


For more The Art of Dang photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/theartofdang/

Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/the-art-of-dang/234360721513

Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/theartofdang



Example of The Art of Dang's Work that I liked from his Etsy Shop

Thanks to 'The Art of Dang', for allowing me to publish his studio photos and for taking time to answer my questions! Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so enjoying seeing everyone's art spaces. It's fun and informative to see how different things are important to different people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say I am really enjoying doing this Blog, I just hope people keep sending me in their Studio Photo links etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll have one coming from me as soon as I can have it work, Ann! :o) This is such a fun blog. I like the last piece (red background) in the blog, very cool. I have a bunch of little panels I keep meaning to get around to sanding (already gessoed) and doing something with ...

    ReplyDelete