Friday, February 26, 2010

Wanderlust Bling's Working Space


Wanderlust Bling's Space

What kind of Art/Crafts do you do?
I make jewellery. I use beads, sterling silver, copper, gemstones, photos, resin, ribbon and embroidery floss and anything else I find that might be interesting.

Where do you create?

I'm a full time RVer, so I create all over the country! I have two studio spaces, one inside and one outside. I keep all my beads, wire, gemstones and photos in the drawers of the vanity in the bedroom. This is where I work on beaded pieces and wire wrapping. Outside, I have a footlocker filled with metalworking tools; vises, hammers, saws, a drill press, torches and other soldering supplies, resin and pickling and oxidizing supplies. Basically, if it smells or creates
dust, it goes outside! When I get to a new place (we move every month or so), I set up on the picnic table and my studio takes on a whole new character.




How do you keep all your supplies organised?
I use lots of little plastic bins and tubs for small beads and gemstones. I keep my wire and sheet metal sandwiched between pieces of cardboard to protect it. I am an unorganized person by nature, and if things are too perfect or neat I actually feel less creative. I have a very loose system of organization - a drawer each for tools, beads, findings and metal - but there's still a bit of chaos. Outside is a bit more orderly because I put things away each night and there's only one way to pack the footlocker so everything fits. When I'm actively working outside, tools are a different place every day depending on what I need when. My biggest concern is protecting my
supplies from damage, and as long as that's accomplished, I'm okay with clutter.


How do you keep yourself motivated to keep your space tidy?
Keep on top of it. Moving means my studio has to be cleaned and packed up and ready for travel every month, so there's a limit to how out of control it can get. I also urge people to come to terms with their natural level of messiness. If you thrive in a more chaotic environment, don't try to force someone else's idea of order on yourself.




Any tips for how to keep art spaces tidy or organised?
Keep on top of it. Moving means my studio has to be cleaned and packed up and ready for travel every month, so there's a limit to how out of control it can get. I also urge people to come to terms with their natural level of messiness. If you thrive in a more chaotic environment, don't try to force someone else's idea of order on yourself.


Do you get stressed out when your space gets in a mess?
No, not really. When I can't find something it's usually because I've tried to clean up and put things away and don't remember where I put them. It amazes my husband, but I have a sort of radar for where things are in my mess. My stock is different; I need to keep that organized so filling orders is as simple and streamlined as possible.



If you could have your dream space tomorrow what would it look like?
A 8x10 trailer to tow behind the motor home with ventilation, lots of windows and a bench with my vises and drill press permanently attached. It would be lovely to be able to do outside work when it's raining!


Do space limitations get in the way of projects you have in mind?
Not really. I'm pretty creative with it comes to space usage (comes with the RVing territory) so if a project intrigues me, I'll find a way.



Example of work by Wanderlust Bling

What is the next big thing on your wish list for your art space?
A tumbler. My wrists are beginning to rebel against hand-finishing every piece, even though I find the process soothing.

Where can people view your work or purchase it?

http://wanderlustbling.etsy.com/
http://wanderlustbling.artfire.com/
http://www.wanderlustbling.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wanderlust-Bling/133262995253  (I offer 10% off for Facebook fans.)

Thanks to Ceridwen for allowing me to publish her studio photos and for taking time to answer my questions! Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. It's amazing how creative people can be in the most unusual places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed every word & every picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool...I love 'following' Cerdiwen around the country on her and her husband's adventures! Love seeing and hearing how she works...kinda like me, organized chaos! Thanks for featuring her!

    ReplyDelete