Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Megan Franken's Working Space

What kinds of art/crafts do you do?

Mainly I sew using recycled fabrics. I have a huge collection of letters and pictures taken from recycled fabric, and I design phrases and images with them. Then I sew them by hand to high quality secondhand clothing. Also, I make jewelry, draw, do photography, and (if it counts) do a lot of cooking and baking.

Where do you do your arts/crafts?
I do it all in my teeny-tiny apartment in Montreal! My living room doubles as a work space, which I find keeps me inspired even in my off hours.



At local thrift store digging for supplies
How do you keep all your supplies organized?
I'm actually a bit of a neat freak, so I keep everything very carefully tucked away. I use a dresser for my sewing supplies, a hanging organizer for my fabrics, and a closet for clothing. But I also need some spaces where I can keep random odds and ends, and for that I use a big basket and a laundry sack. I find I need to keep the things I use everyday in convenient places, but I like to have the odd drawer or bag full of miscellaneous things. Whenever I open it, I feel galvanized to create.

How do you keep yourself motivated to keep your space tidy?
Whenever things start to overflow, I just throw on some electronic music. Somehow music that makes most people dance makes me clean. I'm more of a marathon runner than a sprinter when it comes to cleaning.


Do you get stressed out when your space gets in a mess?
Yes! When I first moved in, I kept everything neat and tidy and would freak out whenever it got at all out of order. But when my friend Tristam moved in for a month...well, even though he was completely respectful of my space and supplies, he just couldn't pick up after himself fast enough. I soon learned to compromise though. I feel like I'm a lot more relaxed about it now, even though he's moved out.

If you could have a dream space tomorrow, what would it look like?
I've always loved this store in Montreal that sells handmade clothing. There are two shop windows side-by-side. In one you can see the store, and in the other you can see where the clothing is made- in a gorgeous, spacious studio. This always seemed idyllic to me! But really I would just love a comfortable work chair and a huge table- right now my work space isn't very "ergonomic."

Photo of Megan's Clothing on her balcony another place where she crafts
Is there any craft you would love to do but can't due the limitations of your work space?
One thing I would love is an open area I could set up to take photos of my work in. In the summer I just head out to my back balcony and I've got space and lighting, but now that winter has rolled around I'm finding it really difficult to take photos I'm satisfied with. I'll probably just redo them all in spring!

What is the next big thing on your wishlist for your art space?
I plan on moving in a few months to a new apartment, and I'm really hoping to set aside atleast half a room for sewing and designing. Honestly though, I love my space as is. Only in a space as tiny as mine can you keep an eye on your cooking while you work!

Megan says about her walk along here 'it is the first thing I do everyday, and I get some of my best ideas for clothing'
Is there a website for people to see or buy your art?
I've got an Etsy store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/meganfranken
And a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Waste-Not-Recycled-Clothing-by-Megan-Franken/134659313247477

I update both almost everyday. My Facebook page features deals every week!


Thanks to Megan for allowing me to publish her photos and for taking time to answer my questions! Thank you!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment