Monday, February 7, 2011

Sheena Lyn Designs Workspace

What kind of Art/Crafts do you do?
I do sewing, corsetry, millinery, paper crafts and photography.

 

Where do you do your art/crafts?
Most of the time it gets done in the living/sewing room. I have tweaked one end of the living room to fit the crafty-sewy stuff :)



How do you keep all your supplies organised?
I have a lot of clear totes (so I can see the contents), big rings that I keep my ribbon on, and "Big Bertha" the old dresser I have adapted to store various fabrics in. I keep all of it fairly organized and i am working on making labels for everything.

 

How do you keep yourself motivated to keep your space tidy?
It's in the living space I share with my family, and the entry to our house. That is pretty motivating.


Any tips for how to keep art spaces tidy or organised?

I have a small garbage can by my sewing table for small threads and other miscellaneous trash. I also have a tote for small scraps of fabric. I always save them, you never know what you will need them for.


Do you get stressed out when your space gets in a mess?
LOL no! It doesn't bother me at all really, but it drives my husband crazy! It's an "organized chaos" and I know where I put everything, but he hates seeing it all over. I try to keep it tidy and respect his feelings :)  

If you could have your dream space tomorrow what would it look like?
It would be a nice open room, with lots of cupboard space (preferably with clear cupboards so I can see inside). I would like to have a corner 'L' shaped desk to sew on, where I can keep my machine on one side and my cutting tools on the other. I would love to have my ironing board fold out from the wall.


Is there any craft you would love to do but cant due to limitations of your art space?

Um, I don't know really. I think that quilting would probably be the one thing I would love to do but don't have space for. But I don't really have patience to do it either... so maybe that is a good thing :)


Example of Sheena Lyn Photographs that I loved
What is the next big thing on your wish list for your art space?
A dressform! I have wanted one forever, and never had the space for one. I am buying one next week, and I can't wait! Everything to this point has been done on a human body, which is not always convenient. Having a dressform will really change the way I work.

 

Is there a website for people to see or buy your art/crafts?
There sure is! I have an Etsy shop under SheenaLyn Designs (though there isn't much there at the moment).
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SheenaLynDesigns
I also have a blog that you are welcome to check out and follow if you'd like to. Its at craftysewingprojects.blogspot.com/ and it follows my process of making many of the things I will be doing in the future.

Thanks to Sheena for allowing me to publish her photos and for taking time to answer my questions! Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for featuring me! And the photograph! I forgot to tell you that I have a Deviant Art profile where you can see more of my photography. (http://kosherpickles.deviantart.com/)

    ReplyDelete