Tuesday, January 19, 2010

deedee9:14 Studio


deedee9:14 Studio

What kind of Art/Crafts do you do?
I'm a professional graphic designer, illustrator, painter, and interiors consultant. I split my time between my office at Yahoo! where I'm a senior product designer (day job) and my studio at home in my live/work loft in Oakland, CA where I run my design and interior consulting company deedee9:14.

Where do you create?
From the kitchen table to my painting corner in front of the huge light filled windows, my entire home is set up to be a working studio for my art and craft projects.




How do you keep all your supplies organised?
I live in a huge rectangular box. That also means there is no built-in storage so keeping organised is very important to keeping my place clean. A few misplaced items and my studio could immediately look a wreck. I own a lot of furniture with hidden compartments or pieces that convert in terms of usage. An end table can become a personal laptop stand, my lunch box collection serves as a hidden filing system, and flat items are hidden tucked away under places like the couch.

How do you keep yourself motivated to keep your space tidy?
My husband and I are very tidy people. We work a lot from home and since our time is often limited we have to be efficient by keeping the place clean. Because our place is a big open plan area it's easy to spot anything out of place. We have clients in and out and knowing there are guests usually forces us to stay on top of the household duties.




Any tips for how to keep art spaces tidy or organised?
Organise paints by colour in a rainbow stacked layout so they appear more organised. Paintings get stacked neatly or hung on low level foam strips so that they don't sit directly on the floor or collect too much dust.


Do you get stressed out when your space gets in a mess?
Incredibly so. Mess = stress. And it can also mean a ruined piece of artwork. My larger pieces are very minimal and usually white so if there's a roaming blob of missed paint or a spilled liquid, it can ruin a new piece in an instant.



If you could have your dream space tomorrow what would it look like?
A 4 story modern live/work loft or building complete with an internal freight elevator and guest elevator. The ground floor would be the gallery with public access for foot traffic. The 2nd floor is the design studio and workshop. The 3rd floor is the living area which includes living room, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, chef's kitchen. And finally the 4th floor is the rooftop which is completely living green surfaced (grass) with a small lap pool and outdoor entertainment lounge area.


Do space limitations get in the way of projects you have in mind?
No. I am fortunate enough to live in a place I've dreamed of for a long time. My loft is in an old converted cotton mill warehouse so pretty much anything goes. However, my building does not allow dogs which breaks my heart as we're dog lovers.




What is the next big thing on your wish list for your art space?
A new easel and new gallery track lighting for all of my work on display on the walls.

Where can people view your work or purchase it?


My paintings: http://www.deedee914.com/

Etsy (where I sell my one-off graphic design and illustration work): http://deedee914.etsy.com/


Example of deedee9:14 work on sale in her Etsy Shop

Thanks to deedee9:14 for allowing me to publish her studio photos and for taking time to answer my questions! Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful studio!

    I have to say your 'Dream Studio' sounds like heaven, all you need to add is your dog.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful studio to be envied for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love this space! Gorgeous and wonderful. Not to mention the dream space. Thanks for sharing! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ann for letting me part of this amazing site. Your blog is already inspiring others to start looking at the create spaces that people work in.

    ReplyDelete